Thursday, February 25, 2010

Speaking My Mind


This gem from my past occurred during my final Spring semester of college classes back in 2008. I was taking an Astronomy class with my friend Brandon just for fun and the class was meeting for one of our lab meetings in the evening. The class was down in one of the computer labs analyzing some data in which we were trying to fit some data to some theoretical model. After about an hour of adjusting values to get the best fit for the data the professor decided to take control and show the class what the fitted data was supposed to look like. He projected his Excel results onto the front wall and showed everyone just how well the data points fell onto his model for some binary star formation or something like that. While the rest of the class was looking attentively at the front of the class I glanced up at the professor's results and scoffed, "Pfff.....My data looks better than THAT!" Then I returned to whatever I was writing on the paper in front of me. It took a few seconds for me to process what had just transpired. I could feel the temperature rising in my cheeks as they turned red. I slowly raised my head to see Brandon sitting across from me just shaking his head at me. His expression on his face was telling me that I went too far. My gaze moved on to the rest of the class and I saw every pair of eyes on me, including those of the professors. I don't remember anything more about that class. This is just another instance of why you should think before you speak. Sometimes comments should go left unspoken.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the time during your interview at Gentex when you snapped about your wife and kids.

    ReplyDelete